Marketing & Communications at ClimateWorks
Global climate change is one of the greatest threats facing humanity. Despite powerful progress in recent years, the world is not yet on track to contain this threat. If we fail, we will do tremendous—perhaps irreparable—damage to ecosystems, economies, and communities around the world. If we succeed, we will not only avoid those damages, but we will also reshape the global economy in ways that will deliver many lasting benefits, including stronger economies, greater food security, less population displacement and migration, and better public health.
Sound compelling? We think so, too. The Marketing and Communications team at CWF has a key role to play in realizing our mission of mobilizing philanthropy to help solve the climate crisis and ensure a prosperous future. We’re a small but mighty team, working to expand ClimateWorks’ communication, outreach, and engagement to funders, partners, and grantees across the climate philanthropy ecosystem. Building on the communications foundation in place, we’re introducing new programs and approaches to increase our impact and expand the awareness of ClimateWorks in the industry.
We seek a seasoned storyteller/writer to help build ClimateWorks’ voice. Our ideal candidate has a knack for crafting stories that engage, persuade, and inform readers on all that we’re doing at ClimateWorks. As a key member of our growing marketing communications team, you’ll work closely with ClimateWorks subject matter experts, scientists, and philanthropic strategists to create a full range of print and multimedia communications.
Our ideal candidate is masterful at understanding, distilling, and effectively communicating complex issues to diverse audiences using a variety of channels and media – web, video, social media, case studies, presentation decks, blogs, contributed articles, opinion pieces, podcasts and more. You tell stories that resonate. You leverage your advanced editing skills to shape stories that are crisp, clear, sharp, and error-free. You are committed to preserving the environment. And you possess a strong faith that the written word has the power to shape narratives that will convince stakeholders everywhere that the climate crisis is a momentous challenge that demands action now. Join us!
This is a new, senior associate level position created through the growth of the ClimateWorks Marketing and Communications team and reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Director of Marketing & Communications, you will:
- Research, draft, and develop print and multimedia marketing content and assets, by working together with internal teams and external vendors, as needed. Includes: blog posts, articles, press releases, web copy, presentations, collateral, case studies, and annual reports.
- Leverage formats that include written word, video, infographics and imagery, and podcasts to tell the story of ClimateWorks and climate change.
- Support teams across the organization, including development, research, and products & services, with review and editing of content for external audiences.
- Develop and deliver a regular CWF email newsletter to external audiences incorporating news from across teams at ClimateWorks.
- Provide support on executive communications projects.
- Support CWF’s outreach strategy across various channels including donors, influencers, ngo partners and media.
- Brainstorm compelling themes, headlines, and teasers to use in social media, web, and other communications campaigns.
- Stay current on industry trends and best practices in marketing/comms for non-profit organizations.
- Maintain a written style guide for the organization and ensure consistent messaging and branding across various channels.
- 5-7 years relevant content development experience, including writing, editing, and publications experience at a non-profit, preferably climate-related.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or a related field preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with proven ability to translate complex concepts into succinct, clear, accessible language for multiple audiences; you take joy in the written word and can create engaging headlines, turn apt phrases, and tell memorable stories.
- Strong project management skills with attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to set priorities and complete tasks in a timely manner; skilled at shepherding publications – print, graphic, video – from concept to delivery.
- Enthusiastic and natural team player with the ability to work with cross-functional, virtual, and diverse teams to develop plans and drive results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the confidence to interact effectively with all levels of management, staff, and external partners. Must be able to interview people from all backgrounds and receive editing constructively.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize, and multi-task is a must.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, WordPress/web CMSs, graphic design, digital and desktop publishing, and multimedia editing and production tools.
- Passion for environmental issues and commitment to the mission and values of ClimateWorks.
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role.