The Project Manager will report to Systems & Planning, and will be based in the ClimateWorks San Francisco office, while providing service to the entire organization. The person will support the organization in managing critical cross-organization projects and enhancing overall project management capabilities. The ideal candidate will be proactive and detail-oriented, with project management and planning skills and experience. This person will enjoy supporting varied special projects, will naturally “connects the dots” in projects with multiple moving parts, and thrive in a fast-paced mission-driven environment. Assisting the Vice President Systems & Planning, CWF Executives, and CWF staff, the Project Manager must possess the ability to anticipate needs, plan-ahead, and evaluate how to right-size project management for the presenting problem.
As part of the Systems & Planning team s/he will be responsible for supporting the execution of several major organization-wide efforts, plus coordinating and providing support to others in the organization who are managing smaller or more focused projects. Improving project management capability of the staff was identified as a priority for many teams, and having an on-staff expert will provide a champion for raising the overall capacity of staff. The Project Manager will also organize and implement key internal operational and infrastructure systems to support ongoing project management, coordinating with existing systems (Samanage, Jira, Smartsheet) and processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following and other duties as assigned:
- Provide direct project management for multiple complex organization-wide projects.
- Manage projects from initiation to closure
- Work with project sponsor and stakeholders to create project charter outlining scope, goals, deliverables, resource requirements and timing
- Engage the team members to develop realizable work packages, sequenced and tested into an understandable project schedule. Work with the team to maintain the project schedule, lead project team meetings, and determine critical path and long lead time items are being adequately considered and resourced to ensure project success
- Act as a mediator between stakeholders and team members, resolving issues and solving problems with the team and facilitating decision making
- Effectively manage project scope, ensuring changes in scope are appropriately evaluated for impact and documented in project plans and schedule
- Identify, track and report on project milestones
- Maintain robust, clear cross-team communication and project execution by recording and issuing decisions, notes, action items and timelines; tracking activity; following-up with team members on progress and execution, and filling gaps as needed.
- Proactively identify risks, capture, prioritize and manage organizational strategy for addressing high priority risks.
Support development of CWF project management capability
- Assess staff capability, needs and CWF requirements for project management skills and resources
- Develop recommendations and a plan to improve overall staff capability that is right-sized for CWF’s needs
- Assess tools and additional resource requirements (in collaboration with IT and HR) and make recommendations for applications, training and support
- Act as an organization-wide resource for project management best practices
- Support CWF staff to improve the application of project management principles on projects or programs they manage
- Lead, coach and motivate application of project management practices across CWF
- Develop tools and best practices that encourage improved project execution
- 5-7 years of relevant experience coordinating, leading and implementing complex projects
- BA or BS degree; Project management certification
- High degree of proficiency in project management and Office tools (Excel, MSWord, etc.); quick learner with new programs and platforms.
- Non-profit or philanthropy experience a plus. Experience with environmental, social justice or climate communities a plus.
- Experience building and maintaining flexible systems and plans for projects and programs
- Assiduous attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and enthusiasm for improving team performance.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Professional poise while balancing competing priorities to bring deadline-driven projects to successful completion in a fast-paced environment.
- Tact, professionalism, diplomacy, and a good sense of humor; ability to handle sensitive matters with discretion.
- Experience and aptitude with web-based and other technology platforms a plus.
- Commitment to the mission of ClimateWorks Foundation
- High degree of proficiency in project management and Office tools (Excel, MSWord, etc); quick learner with new programs and platforms.
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your fit for the role.