Global View and Climate Philanthropy
The Advisory and Research team (ART) at ClimateWorks Foundation leads many of the products under the Global View Function. The Global View identifies high-impact opportunities for philanthropy to enable deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions. We provide a global perspective on how philanthropy does, can, and should contribute to mitigating climate change. With data-rich information and analysis we give climate funders a Global View of the field and actionable insights that are designed for philanthropy and are informed by a variety of partners.
Global View work products include the GHG mitigation landscape, funding landscape, strategic initiatives and insights, grantee landscape and progress tracking towards a well below 2°C goal. While the Global View presents top-level information on overall opportunities in the climate mitigation field, deeper insights and strategies for specific sectors/topics come through partnerships with ClimateWorks’ grant-making portfolios. Two-way information sharing between the Global View and the portfolios helps strengthen the offerings for philanthropy. These offerings are also useful to a number of foundations interested in climate change. ClimateWorks is committed to help grow the overall size of philanthropic investment towards climate action. Central to this effort is the organization’s work with funders to help them evaluate investment opportunities that are aligned with their interests and priorities.
The Advisory and Research Associate helps ensure the smooth and effective completion of a wide range of programmatic tasks and functions associated with the Global View. The Associate will report to the Senior Director, Advisory and Research and will work closely with the CWF’s Philanthropy team. The position requires excellent research, communication, organizational and project management skills, and good attention to detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Work to design and scope topics on climate, energy and policy that affect ClimateWorks’ strategies. This includes synthesis and evaluation of latest trends and news in the energy, policy and climate change field.
- Communicate and synthesize the above information in written reports, infographics and presentations, for ClimateWorks and peers, as requested.
- Support the Advisory & Research team efforts in estimating, tracking and reporting on progress related to decarbonization.
- Work with the Advisory and Research team and Programs team to scope new topics/strategies and supplement with additional research and analysis as needed.
- Create compelling briefs on new topics to support requests from funders, partners, and members of CWF’s Philanthropy team.
- Serve as the liaison to internal communication requests on datasets, reports, synthesis of analysis, etc. coming from the Philanthropy team.
- Assist in the writing, editing, and management of select ClimateWorks’ communication materials.
- Assist in note-taking for meetings, conference calls and workshops.
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) with course work in either data science, finance, economics, public policy.
- At least 1-2 years of experience post-degree in analytical work, through an array of diverse positions (e.g. in the academia, private sector, non-profit sector).
- Proven ability to produce clear analytical notes and reports on complex issues, as well as quality applied research.
- Ability to create well-designed graphics and presentation material
- Exceptional writing, editing, communications and presentation skills
- Familiarity with spreadsheet modeling, superior MS Excel skills, experience with other statistical software tools and data visualization platforms desirable.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Well-developed interpersonal and teamwork skills; ability to reach out to different organizations of the ClimateWorks network and to interact with diverse profiles at external organizations.
- Ability to juggle numerous competing demands and priorities, respond quickly to management requests.
- Experience and comfort working in a highly collaborative and deadline driven professional environment.
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender/gender identity, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role.