The ideal candidate will be experienced in all aspects of non-profit financial management and will be responsible for leading the annual financial statement audit, financial reporting, accounts payables, accounts receivable, payroll, the general ledger, compliance, and administration of the organization’s accounting policies.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, adept at managing priorities and deadlines, and will have demonstrated success in leading an accounting team. The Controller will supervise up to three staff and will report to the VP, Finance and Administration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Controller will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
Accounting, Audit, and Tax Return
- Oversee the completion of financial statements.
- Oversee the annual financial statement audit and ensure timely and accurate preparation of all schedules and reconciliations, act as point person for auditors, and manage all document requests.
- Oversee accounting for the Climate and Land Use Alliance, LLC, a subsidiary of ClimateWorks.
- Oversee filing of federal and state tax returns, ensure timely and accurate preparation of all schedules and reconciliations.
- Define and implement accounting policies and procedures, including travel and expense reimbursement policies.
- Ensure accounting records adhere to GAAP and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls for all accounting functions.
- Oversee accounts receivable, accounts payable, credit card expense reporting, and 1099 filing functions.
- Oversee the monthly and quarterly accounting close process, ensuring timely and accurate preparation of journal entries, supporting schedules (such as for accrued expenses and expense allocations).
- Oversee monthly balance sheet account reconciliations and fixed asset and depreciation schedules.
- Manage grant award accounting within revenue recognition policy guidelines, including tracking of restricted funding.
- Manage banking functions, including cash account reconciliations and cash transfer requests.
- Manage payroll in coordination with HR Director and Accounting and Reporting Manager.
- Assist with other filings and finance projects as necessary.
- Oversee all financial reporting for ClimateWorks executive team and board of directors.
- Oversee preparation of timely and accurate financial reports, including (1) grant financial reports and (2) management reports for internal budget managers (for operating departments and program budgets}, subsidiaries, and incubated programs/organizations.
- Leverage strengths of the team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and professional development plans in order to maximize and reach optimal individual goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Assist in budgeting, forecasting, and planning process. Produce templates for distribution to department heads; track, review, and rollup budget and forecast submissions.
- Provide financial analysis, such as analysis of grantee budgets, as needed.
- The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience required with a minimum of 5 years non-profit accounting experience
- Corporate or private hands-on accounting experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- Licensed CPA preferred
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP
- Advanced Excel skill level (i.e., experienced with pivot tables, managing large data sets, use of VLOOKUP formulas)
- Flexible nature and ability to work under pressure and manage shifting priorities under competing deadlines
- High attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software (ClimateWorks uses Sage Intacct)
- Ability to write policies and procedures and document work processes
- Strong interpersonal communications skills; ability to communicate policies and financial concepts to non-finance managers
- Experience with client services firm a plus
- Exposure to international accounting procedures a plus
- Commitment and enthusiasm for the mission of the ClimateWorks Foundation
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role.